The peas leaves are turning yellow and the pods are full.
Over the past months, we had been slowly adding twine to our pea trellis - it's become a piece of artwork!!
The fava beans are also ready to be picked.
We decided to cut the plants just above the soil and leave the roots to hold the soil structure together.
After we harvested the peas, we prepared the bed for planting kale. While we were digging around, look what we found!
These white nodules are the results of rhizobia bacteria that live symbiotically in the roots of legumes and fix nitrogen in the soil. We are happy to have a healthy bed!
As our summer progresses, our broccoli plants are finally coming up so much so that they are looming over the strawberries!
Here's a close up look at crown....Someone's going home with some broccoli today!
We now have young nasturtium seedlings. We planted the seeds back on May 31st along with some marigolds but there are no signs of the marigolds yet. The seeds may have been too old.
Our shasta daisies are bloomin! One of the ways to encourage more blooming daisies is to "deadhead" them. Cutting the flowers with shears or a sharp knife just as they're about to wilt or turning brown, will encourage new growth and hence, more flowers. You want to cut them back to the first set of leaves or to the point where the wilting/dying flowers meet healthy blooms or buds..
Our squash has been growing very quickly. Every time we think we can wait 'til next week to harvest, it's already too late. Ronde de Nice squash is supposed to be picked when they're baseball-sized.
The squash is also running all over the garden!
You can see it creeping over the hedge and going onto the rain barrel here...
We decided to harvest the Napa cabbage before it got eaten further, plus it was starting to bolt.
The sweet peas are finally flowering, providing pollinators with more sources of nectar...
Tomatoes are drying out as these are our hottest beds (Beds 1, 2) but we are getting a few tomatoes (Green Zebra) now.
The watermelon we transplanted is coming along. Hopefully we'll get some fruit soon!
The striped zucchinis we transplanted are doing well. We have one zucchini already forming. You can see it in the picture on the left below - it's towards the back of the plant.
I think we'll have to replace the phlox. With the combination of being stepped on several times by people harvesting raspberries and not looking at where they're stepping, plus not getting enough water, I think it is now dead.... :(
The arugula is starting to go to seed so we harvested them. A lettuce head is also forming quite nicely.
Our very green harvest this week - garlic, Ronde de Nice squash, garlic, greens, mint, beans and peas.